Tuesday, January 09, 2007

John & Nicole Picture Special

I have been taking pictures recently, but on a film camera and I haven't had the chance to get them developed yet. In the meantime here are some pictures taken by John and Nicole, which are probably a lot better than anything I have waiting on my films.


Their pictures start on our horseride in San Augustine, about ten minutes after I fell off my horse, while attempting to clamber on. As you can see I have mud on my knees and a sheepish look about me.
The countryside around San Augustine is absolutely lovely. The picture below was taken from an ancient archaeological site called Shakira (no relation), where figures have been carved into a pile of rocks on a hillside. They must have been bored. The site is actually bounded by land belonging to Philipe, he wanders down to have his morning coffee contemplating this view. You can't see in this picture, but from the rocks you can see twelve waterfalls cascading down the hills in every direction. It's amazing that this picture missed them all.
This is Popayan, which I think is the most elegant town I have visited in the New World.
Again, Popayan.
This is how the Indians in the south of Colombia dress. In the north the Tayrona Indians are completely different - they dress all in white with pointy hats.
The countryside around Salento was even nicer than around San Augustine. But everywhere you go in this country there are amazing vistas.
This is the old chap at the coffee finca we visited.
And these are his grandchildren. Really, they must wonder about the one on the left. It's about six years since they opened their farm to foreign visitors . . .
As well as the coffee, Salento is also the place to go if you really must see the tallest palm trees in the world.
This is up in the slums of Medellin. Just incredible how happy everyone was up there.
This is the cablecar that travels over the city.
Nicole will probably hate me for using this picture - but it's the best shot of the view from our cabin in Taganga. And that pose is great.
This is the beach at El Cabo, in the Tayrona national park.
The picture was taken from here, were we camped. You can see just how far those coconuts would fall before landing on your head. I never knew such terror could lurk in paradise.
The threat of instant death brought out the hedonist in everybody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.