Tuesday, January 10, 2006

All fired up

I had just woken up in my friend's coal shed after his birthday party when work called to 'release me early from my contract', which I think is the same as getting sacked. It seems they weren't happy that I refused to work on New Year's Day on account of having a hangover. I thought it was, at least, an honest explanation for my absence.

Any feelings of shame, guilt or regret quickly passed when I realised they were still going to pay me until my official leaving date on January 13, so I suddenly had plenty of time to get organised for my trip on the 17th.

I've bought a ticket to Cancun in Mexico, which seems to be the cheapest place to fly to, then I plan to head southwards, hopefully as far as Antarctica. Other than that I'm going to take things as they come.

I think I've got just about everything sorted now. My international press card arrived, which is a blood-red wallet with PRESS emblazoned across it in big golden letters. I particularly like the way it lands with a 'thud' when you toss it onto a desk. I also got my international driving permit through the post, which is a most peculiar document. It's made of old-fashioned grey paper, and has the look of a wartime ration book. I've got my passport, a bottle opener, a notebook, a lighter, a penknife and a packet of asprins, so I'm all set to go.

In the meantime there's an apple orchard that needs Wassailing on Saturday. The cider's ready for tapping and there's a lamb on order, so all we need now is a virgin for the tree. More on this later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well have fun, and don't forget that 'coger' doesn't mean the same thing in South America as it does in Spain........lots of love Claire

Anonymous said...

Brother Dave didn't mention anything about a Fire Engine after wassailing, did I miss something? I usually do, must be a Brooks thing.